Reverse Transfer Program

North Carolina’s Reverse Transfer Program is a state initiative designed to award an associate degree to students who previously attended a North Carolina Community College (NCCC) and fulfilled the associate degree requirements while working towards a bachelor’s degree at the UNC Charlotte.

About the Reverse Transfer Program

The Reverse Transfer Program is a collaborative effort between North Carolina Community Colleges (NCCC) and the UNC System. Students can combine credit previously earned at a NCCC with credit earned at UNC Charlotte to apply for an Associate’s Degree from the NCCC they attended initially. Read more about the Reverse Transfer Program here.

Results & Resources

As of September 2023, and since Spring 2014…

  • 8,477 UNC Charlotte students have opted into the Reverse Transfer (RT) program.
  • 2,375 associate degrees have been awarded to UNC Charlotte RT students.
  • Additionally, 6 certificates have been awarded to UNC Charlotte RT students.

For additional information, read our UNC Charlotte Policy here.


The primary contact for UNC Charlotte is:

Dr. Jonathan Reece
University Registrar


Do I qualify?
  • You must have earned a minimum of 16 credits at your former NCCC (Accreditation residency requirement).
  • You must opt-into the reverse transfer program (authorizes UNC Charlotte to share your courses and credits).
How do I Opt-In?

In MyCharlotte, click Student Self Service:

  • Click Reverse Transfer in the Student Records section.
  • If you qualify, you will receive a message requesting participation.
  • By virtue of “Opt In,” you sign an agreement stating that you will follow UNC Charlotte’s curriculum towards the baccalaureate degree and that you understand that academic advisors at UNC Charlotte cannot provide advising for community college coursework.
  • Once you “opt in,” no further action from you is required.
  • You may change your decision at any time by repeating the steps above.
Can I get a General Education Waiver if I earn an Associate degree through reverse transfer?
  • Yes. If you are awarded the Associate in ArtsAssociate in ScienceAssociate in Fine Arts, or Associate in Engineering degree through the Reverse Transfer program, UNC Charlotte will honor the degree to satisfy lower-division General Education requirements.  All students, regardless of transfer status, will still have to take a “writing in the discipline” course in their major. 
  • It is your responsibility to understand the community college requirements for completing an Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, Associate in Fine Arts, or Associate in Engineering degree.
  • After your former NCCC confers the degree, you will need to have a transcript (electronic preferred) sent to UNC Charlotte with that degree identified.  UNC Charlotte is not notified of degree conferral.  Upon transcript receipt, the Office of the Registrar, will add the waiver to your degree audit in DegreeWorks.

Note:  You may be eligible for more than the four Associate degrees listed above at the NCCC, but only these four qualify for a general education waiver.

Do I have to pay for my degree or participate in the graduation ceremony at the NCCC?
  • Each NCCC will determine and notify you regarding the cost of the printed diploma and/or participation in the graduation ceremony. 
  • If your former NCCC has a cost for the processing and awarding of the degree, this will be waived. 
What if have a hold on my record at my former NCCC?

Any holds at the NCCC will be upheld and any transcript holds at the university when the transcript data is pulled will be upheld.

Can the community college contact me to inform me of what courses I am missing to get the associate degree?
  • No, your courses and credits will be sent to the NCCC each semester, starting when you reach 60 earned credit hours until a total 100 earned credit hours are complete at the university (or 5 years has passed since transferring to UNC Charlotte). However, you can contact the community college to request what information is missing. 
  • It is important to remember that the courses needed for the associate degree may or may not be needed for your baccalaureate degree. After consulting with your former NCCC on needed courses, you should consult with you advisor at UNC Charlotte before registering for courses for the associate degree.  If it is possible to meet both requirements, UNC Charlotte advisors will try to help, but UNC Charlotte’s objective is to keep you moving toward your baccalaureate degree.
Can UNC Charlotte advise me on what is required for my NCCC associate degree?

No, UNC Charlotte is not charged with awarding your associate degree and only your former NCCC can review and/or determine degree eligibility.

How often are my earned credits at UNC Charlotte shared with my former NCCC?

UNC Charlotte courses and credits will be shared with your former NCCC:

  • Every fall & spring semester (twice per year)
    • After you’ve earned a minimum of 60 credit hours, and
    • Until you’ve earned a maximum of 100 credit hours, or
    • Until you’ve earned an Associate degree.
  • Courses and credits are shared with your former NCCC in March for the previous fall & summer and in July for the previous spring by the UNC System Office.  Courses and credits earned at UNC Charlotte route through the UNC System Office before they are shared with your former NCCC.
What courses and credits will be shared with my former NCCC?

Only courses in which you earned a grade of C- or higher will be shared with your former NCCC.  Upper-division courses completed at UNC Charlotte may be considered for lower division substitution on a case-by-case basis.

What if I opted-in late and miss the March or July reporting dates for sharing my information with my former NCCC?

Your information will be shared at the next reporting date.

I attended more than one NCCC. Which NCCC will my credits be shared?

If you’ve attended more than one NCCC, the following sequence for determining which campus will receive and review your credits will be followed.

  • 16 credit hours or more.  If a tie, then…
  • Most recent NCCC attended.  If a tie, then…
  • Most credit hours earned.  If a tie, then…
  • A random assignment will occur (a decision is often determined before this step).
What communications should I expect during participation and how will I know when a degree is awarded?
  • You will not receive any communications from UNC Charlotte or your former NCCC during participation. 
  • If you are eligible for an associate degree, you will receive an email from your former NCCC to your UNC Charlotte email.  Contact is made only if a degree is awarded, needing payment for any unresolved fees, or needing a transcript from another non-participating institution for which you attended.