Health Insurance Charges
All undergraduate students enrolled in six or more degree-seeking credit hours are required to have health insurance. All graduate students enrolled in 3 or more degree-seeking credit hours are required to have health insurance.
UNC Charlotte students who meet the following criteria are required to have health insurance:
- Undergraduate Students: enrolled in a main campus program, registered for six or more degree-seeking credit hours
- Graduate Students: enrolled in a main campus program, registered for three or more credit hours in a degree-seeking or certificate program
- International Students: all enrolled students with F-1,F-2 or J-1, J-2 visas
These students are also automatically charged the mandatory Health Services Fee, providing them access to all student health related services at the Student Health Center, the Center for Counseling and Psychological Services, and the Center for Wellness Promotion.
Students may remain on their parents’ insurance or buy their own insurance. If you are covered by another health insurance policy, you can waive the Student Health Insurance (and receive a credit) by submitting this online waiver.
- If you are covered by another policy, you can waive the Student Health Insurance fee by submitting an online waiver once you have registered for classes.
- The deadline to submit the waiver is approx. 30 days after the first day of class.
- Student insurance waivers are credits and appear on your account as a “Health Insurance Waiver.”
- It may take up to 15 days for the waiver to be processed and credited (applied) to your student account.
- The University requires that account balances be paid in full by the due dates shown on your bill in order to avoid cancellation of courses at the beginning of the term. If your credit is not yet posted, you must still pay in full and may be reimbursed once the credit waiver posts. Paying in full means:
- Complete payment of tuition, fees and charges including health insurance;
- Payment of the difference of all charges minus offered and accepted financial aid; or
- Enrollment in the UNC Charlotte payment plan.
The Insurance Requirement does not apply to students enrolled in a Distance Education program. Please visit the Student Health Center’s website for the Student Blue premium amount and instructions on the waiver process.