Third-Party Sponsors

Payments may come from:

  • State and Federal agencies
  • International embassies
  • Military agencies
  • Employers
  • Other organizations that have been granted special billing arrangements by the University

The Office of the Bursar prepares and sends invoices for tuition and other costs as specified by the third party.

Student Responsibility

Students sponsored by a third-party have certain responsibilities to fulfill in order to have the third-party payment applied to their student account. The student:

  • Providing a valid authorization from their sponsor prior to the payment due date
  • Paying any balance not covered by the third-party prior to the payment due date
  • Renewing their authorization when needed

*Please note: If for any reason the sponsor does not pay the invoice, the student will be liable for full payment of all charges incurred.

Authorization Letter/Financial Guarantee Requirements

The authorization is a document in which the third-party agency commits to pay designated education expenses for the student.

What should be included in the Authorization Letter:

  • Student’s full name
  • Student’s UNC Charlotte ID number
  • Duration of sponsorship (start and end date)Authorized terms (Fall, Spring, Summer)
  • Specific charges covered, i.e. tuition, fees, housing, meal plan, parking permit, books, etc.
  • Indicate the minimum/maximum amount the sponsor will coverInclude any special billing instructions
  • Sponsor contact nameContact telephone and email
  • Complete billing address of the organization
  • Signature and date from an authorized official

Where to Submit Authorization Letter/Financial Guarantee

The authorization for tuition, fees, housing, meal plan, parking permit should be submitted to:

UNC Charlotte
Attn: Office of the Bursar/Third-Party Billing
Reese Building 2nd Floor
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte, North Carolina 28223

A separate authorization for books and supplies should be submitted to:

Barnes & Noble Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte, North Carolina 28223
Phone: 704-687-7077
Fax: 704-687-7070

Charges Not Paid by Third-Party Sponsors
  • Upon receipt of a valid authorization, a “defer to third-party payment” flag will be placed on the student’s account to prevent cancellation of the student’s registration in anticipation of the pending third party payment.
  • Any charges that the third party sponsor has not agreed to pay, i.e., parking fines, health center charges, etc., must be paid by the student before a “defer to third-party payment” flag can be placed on the student’s account to prevent cancellation of the student’s registration.

Invoicing Third-Party Sponsors
  • Third party sponsors are invoiced after the add/drop date has passed each semester.
  • Due to the number of third party sponsors that are invoiced, please allow up to three weeks after the drop/add date each semester for invoices to be submitted to the third party sponsor.

Military Tuition Assistance

Students eligible for Military Tuition Assistance must provide a Tuition Assistance (TA) form. The TA form must include a specific description of charges that will be paid by the military. It must also include:

  • The student’s name and UNC Charlotte ID number
  • The semester(s) covered by the document
  • The billing address
  • The signature and telephone number of the authorizing official

Your tuition assistance payment will be applied after it is received by Third-Party Billing staff.