Receiving Your Aid

If you are a new student, you must activate your NinerNET account before you can log in to My UNC Charlotte. You will need your NinerNET username provided on your admission acceptance letter (look for it in the top right corner).

How to Review and Accept Your Offer

  1. Log in to MyCharlotte
  2. Select the Student Self Service icon under Quick Links
  3. Select Financial Aid link
  4. Select the Award Offer tab
  5. Select the appropriate aid year at the top of the page on the Home tab
  6. Select Take Action to accept or decline each of your funds
  7. Review the information listed on the Resources tab for terms and conditions of your funds, if applicable

How to Review Outstanding Requirements

  1. Log in to MyCharlotte
  2. Select the Student Self Service icon under Quick Links
  3. Select Financial Aid link
  4. Select the appropriate aid year at the top of the page, on the Home tab
  5. Review your missing documents or other requirements listed on the Home tab

*If you have incomplete requirements, select Check Messages from Financial Aid Staff or See the Status of Your Application in the Financial Aid Tab. Here you will find additional instructions on why the document was incomplete and what else is needed.


  • Available refunds will go out the first week of class
  • Grants and scholarships may not disburse until after the drop/add period ends in which another refund will be issued if another credit balance is created

Changing your Loan

  • If you have accepted a loan but would like to decrease, increase, or cancel the loan, please complete a Loan Change form

Details for the Start of Term

  • Financial aid for each semester will begin applying to students’ bills 7-10 days prior to the first day of class
  • We will begin processing refunds during the first week of class
  • Direct Deposit is the fastest and most secure way to receive your refund
  • If you have enrolled in Direct Deposit, you will receive a refund through your direct deposit account, please allow 3 to 5 business days to receive a refund to your selected bank account once the refund is posted
  • If you don’t have Direct Deposit, a refund check will be mailed to your local mailing address listed in Banner Self-Service, please allow 7 to 10 days to receive a mailed refund check once the refund is posted
  • Any refunds coming from a Parent PLUS Loan will be mailed to the parent’s address listed on their application unless, when applying, they opted to send the refund directly to the student
  • Read what a negative balance on your account means.
Terms & Conditions
  • You must be a United States citizen or an eligible non-citizen. Eligible non-citizens may be required to present current, up-to-date, and valid U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS-formerly Immigration and Naturalization Service or INS) I-551 or I-94 forms in person to the Office of Financial Aid (OFA) to document their eligibility for federal aid. Students who are in the US on F1, J1, J2 visas, and G series visas are NOT eligible for federal or state financial aid.
  • You understand that any federal funds received during the award period(s) covered by this award will be used solely for expenses related to your attendance at UNC Charlotte.
  • Graduate students must be enrolled in at least 4.5 credit hours at the 5000 level or above each semester in order to be eligible for Federal Student Loans and for UNC Charlotte to certify enrollment for a loan repayment deferment.
  • You must be enrolled as a regular student at least half-time to receive aid. Exceptions to this requirement are Federal Pell Grants, which are available to less than half-time undergraduate students. Audit credit hours are not included. Students registered as visitors, special, or post-baccalaureates (exception: teacher certification and certain graduate certificate programs) are not eligible to receive financial aid. For half-time enrollment, undergraduate students must be enrolled for at least six hours (for graduate students, at least 4.5 hours).
  • All students (full time, part time, graduate and undergraduate) who wish to qualify for financial aid while attending UNC Charlotte must meet certain standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). For the complete SAP policy, appeals procedures, and appeals deadlines, please click here.
  • You must notify OFA immediately if your residency status changes, if you graduate and immediately re-enroll, if your status changes from undergraduate to graduate or if your status changes to non-degree, post baccalaureate or visitor.
  • You cannot receive federal and state financial aid from any other college or university for the same award period(s).
  • If your award package includes the Federal Work-Study (FWS) program, that award is the maximum amount you may earn while working on the program. It cannot be applied to your bill as a credit.
  • If you withdraw from the all of your classes during the semester, federal law requires that any “unearned” financial aid be returned to the federal government. Therefore, if you withdraw or you do not earn any hours during the semester, you may be required to repay all or a portion of the aid received, based on the length of your enrollment.
  • Students may only receive federal financial aid for one repetition (repeat) of a previously passed course. This means that students (undergraduate and graduate) who have already passed a course with a grade of D or better may only repeat the class one additional time and receive financial aid for that course.
  • You are responsible for repaying your loans – Acceptance of any loan carries a serious legal and financial obligation. Failure to meet this obligation may adversely affect your credit.
  • If you do not wish to use a student loan, you may decline it. If you borrow the maximum annual federal loan amount available to you during the school year, you will not be able to use a student loan during the following summer. Summer financial aid is very limited. If you receive a student refund of financial aid during the academic-year and plan to enroll during the summer sessions, you should plan to save some of the funds from your student refund to help you pay for your future summer tuition charges.
  • You are responsible for reporting changes in your financial status. If you receive additional funds or financial support from any source, you are required to report this to the financial aid office. Adjustments to your financial aid package may occur as a result of these additional funds because the financial aid office is required by law to consider all sources of aid when determining your eligibility for federal student aid funds.
  • If required, you are to provide any additional documentation, verification, corrections and/or new information to OFA which may be used to determine your eligibility for financial aid.
  • You are responsible for repaying any assistance received as a result of providing incorrect information to the University. Intentionally misreporting information on forms for federal aid is a violation of the law and is considered a criminal offense subject to penalties under the United States Criminal Code.
  • You understand that OFA receives information at the end of each term. If all grades are not passing (W’s, I’s, or F’s), you will be required to have all professors sign the Confirmation of Attendance form indicating the last day of your participation or attendance. If the Office of Financial Aid does not receive the Confirmation of Attendance form by the 15 day deadline, ALL of your federal funding may be returned to the particular programs. If the professors confirm attendance but no specific date is given, we will prorate your financial aid based on the midpoint of the term. If you were paid a Pell grant on a full-time enrollment and you are not able to confirm attendance in all courses, your aid will be adjusted to the amount of the credits confirmed and the calculation will be based on the last date of attendance for the confirmed classes.
  • At UNC Charlotte, we believe that communicating with you through email and on My UNC Charlotte is the best way to get information to you. However, if you wish to opt out of all electronic communication, please contact us.