Commencement is one of our most cherished traditions, one that marks a major milestone for you, your family and the faculty and staff who have supported your journey at Charlotte.
Preparing for Graduation
It’s important to track your progress toward your degree and be mindful of how you can prepare for graduation, especially when registering for future terms.
DegreeWorks is an online tool that the University uses to determine if you have met the requirements of your degree for graduation. You can utilize it to see program requirements and track degree progress. DegreeWorks also provides:
- What-If Audit to show how a change of major, minor, concentration or catalog year could impact your degree progress
- Future Classes feature to see if a requirement could be fulfilled
- GPA Calculator to see what is needed to achieve your desired GPA
Although DegreeWorks is a great online tool, it does not replace the need to work with your academic advisor. It is helpful to check your degree worksheet at the end of each term and also when registering for future terms.
- To access DegreeWorks, log in to MyCharlotte, then click on the DegreeWorks icon under Quick Links.
- Check out our Frequently Asked Questions here or view our DegreeWorks Reference Guide.
- If you believe there is an error on your audit, please contact your advisor or email@example.com.
- Contact your major or minor department if you have questions about major or minor requirements.
- Contact Niner Central if you have questions about how to read or interpret your degree evaluation.
- If you experience additional issues, complete the DegreeWorksHelp Request form or use the portal to submit a help request for all DegreeWorks questions or issues.
Applying for Graduation
- Log in to MyCharlotte
- Select Student Self Service under Quick Links.
- Under Student Records, select Apply to Graduate.
- For Curriculum Selection, select the term that contains the curriculum for which you want to apply to graduate.
- Select the Program and click Continue. Only one curriculum may be selected at a time.
- Select your Graduation Date and then click Continue.
- Enter your name as you wish it to appear on your diploma. You can choose your current name from the drop down or enter a new name. Click Continue.
- Using the drop-down menu, select the mailing address you want your diploma to be mailed to, or select new to add a new address. Click Continue.
- Review your graduation application summary to verify all information is correct; if yes, click Submit Request. If you need to make changes, click Back.
- Review the Acknowledgement for the submission of your graduation application. The Acknowledgement page confirms your graduation application was submitted successfully.
- For additional questions, Undergraduate students can email firstname.lastname@example.org and Graduate students can email their college liaison.
- Deadline: Apply for graduation by the published Graduation Application deadline (listed in the Academic Calendar).
- New & Updated: These instructions apply to new graduation applications only. Refer to the Graduation and Diploma FAQs for updating a graduation application.
- Dual/Triple Degrees, Majors and Certificates: If you are earning more than one degree, major or certificate, a graduation application must be submitted for each program separately. For example, if one pursues a BS in Chemistry and a BA in Biology, those are considered dual degrees and require two separate graduation applications. A BA in both Psychology and Criminal Justice are considered dual majors, and require two separate graduation applications.
- Minors: Minors are automatically attached to the undergraduate degree program and do not require a separate application.
Commencement & Diplomas
Commencement is the graduation ceremony held in Halton Arena annually in fall(December) and spring (May) to recognize our Charlotte graduates.
- You will participate in the commencement ceremony for the term in which you complete your degree requirements.
- If you complete your degree in the summer or fall terms, you will participate in the December Commencement Ceremonies.
Visit the Commencement website for information about your commencement ceremony.
Receiving Your Diploma
Diplomas will be mailed six to eight weeks after Commencement, as long as there are no financial holds on your account. You can check your diploma status here. If you need to request an Apostille diploma, view these instructions.
Online Diploma Service
You can order a diploma replacement and The following Online Diploma Service is available through our official diploma vendor, the Michael Sutter Company. Order a Diploma Replacement and eDiploma Online:
- Order a replacement diploma – Order your diploma easily online. You will be able to choose Standard Delivery or Express Overnight Delivery. There is a $14.00 charge for each Diploma Replacement. Your Diploma will be printed and mailed within 1-2 business days of your order.
- Order an Official UNC Charlotte eDiploma – Your UNC Charlotte eDiploma is a Signed and Certified PDF of your original paper diploma used for easy diploma verification purposes. The UNC Charlotte eDiploma is a one-time charge of $5.00. You will receive your eDiploma within minutes of ordering. You can then share your eDiploma as often as you need.
- Diploma Status – Search the status of your diploma order whether it is your new diploma or replacement diploma.
Have additional questions related to graduation and your diploma? Check out our FAQs!