The FAFSA is changing for the 2024-2025 aid year. As the Department of Education works to finalize the FAFSA Simplifcation act, know that Charlotte is committed to communicating changes to the awarding process and anticipated impacts to our students and families as soon as details are confirmed. Please monitor your University email for additional information.
If applying for financial aid for the 2023-2024 aid year, follow these 4 steps to financial aid:
Step 1: Apply for aid
- Submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Be sure to enter our school code: 002975
- All students who want to be considered for financial aid must reapply every year
Step 2: Review and accept your award
Step 3: Receive your aid
- Some refunds will go out the first week of class. Grants and scholarships may not disburse until after the drop/add period ends
Step 4: Maintain eligibility
- A FAFSA needs to be completed each year
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
Types of Financial Aid
- Federal grants
- State grants
- Student and parent loans
- Work-study employment
When to Apply
It’s important to get started applying for financial aid as soon as possible. Begin the process of gathering your information early. The information below is applicable for the 2023-2024 aid year.*
October 1 – FAFSA opens
- The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is available online at www.studentaid.gov.
- You will need to have your completed prior year’s federal income tax returns (and those of your parents or spouse, if applicable) with you when you fill out the FAFSA.
- Enter the UNC Charlotte school code in the school section so we receive your application. Our school code is 002975.
January 1 – Early Award Decision Deadline
- If you complete and submit your FAFSA by January 1, you will receive your aid offer by the end of March.
- To view your award, log into my.charlotte.edu using your NinerNET username and password and click on the Banner Self-Service icon.
March 1 – Regular Decision Deadline
- If you complete and submit your FAFSA after January 1 and no later than March 1, you will receive your aid offer by April 15.
- After April 15, to view your award, log into my.charlotte.edu using your NinerNET username and password and click on the Banner Self-Service icon.
- If you have missed this deadline, we encourage you to complete the FAFSA as soon as possible, even if you haven’t received your acceptance letter..
After March 1 – Awarding continues as funds available
- If you complete and submit your FAFSA after Mar. 1, you will receive your award decision on a rolling basis as funds are available.
July – Billing period begins for enrolled students
- Students enrolled for Fall (those registered for classes) will receive an eBill via their campus email in July. Paper bills will NOT be mailed.
- The eBill reflects all charges and credits on your account. The payment due date will be posted on the eBill.
- You may enroll in a Payment Plan to spread out payments into installments.
- A non-refundable enrollment fee of $55 will be charged when you sign up for the payment plan each semester or $99 for the academic year.
*The FAFSA timeline is changing for the 2024-2025 aid year, we will communicate those changes to our students and families as soon as details are confirmed. Please monitor your University email for additional information.