Grant Overpayments

If you have received one or more overpayments of the Federal Pell Grant, you are required, by law, to repay any Federal Pell Grant funds for which you were not entitled. Until your overpayment has been resolved (i.e., repaid), you are ineligible to receive any more federal student aid, including loans. The Office of Financial Aid requires documentation to verify that you have resolved (i.e., repaid) the overpayment.

Examples of why you might have to repay all or part of a federal grant

  • You withdrew early from the program for which the grant was given to you.
  • Your enrollment status changed in a way that reduced your eligibility for your grant (for instance, if you switch from full-time enrollment to part-time, your grant amount will be reduced).
  • You received outside scholarships or grants that reduced your need for federal student aid.
  • For a TEACH Grant, you did not meet the requirements of your TEACH Grant service obligation.

How to repay a grant overpayment

1. Pay the amount owed

  • For information on what is owed, call the Department of Education at 1-800-621-3115 or log into My Federal Student Aid with your FSA ID.

2. After you have resolved (i.e., repaid) the Pell Overpayment

  • Contact the Department of Education at 1-800-621-3115 to obtain a “Title IV Eligibility Letter.”
  • This letter will be mailed directly to you.
  • UNC Charlotte cannot request this letter on your behalf.
  • The letter must state that your Pell Overpayment is paid in full.

3. Once you receive the “Title IV Eligibility Letter” by mail, mail or fax it to Niner Central