Visiting Student Information

Visiting students are those who are currently enrolled as degree-seeking students at another institution but who wish to take courses for a term at UNC Charlotte to transfer back to their home institution.


  • Summer terms are also an option for visiting students with a desire to take courses for professional or personal enrichment.
  • Visiting students are non-degree seeking and register on a space-available basis after UNC Charlotte degree-seeking students.
  • The $75 application fee is a processing fee and will not be refunded if the classes you wish to take are full.
Application Information

As a visiting student, you must submit a new application for each term you wish to enroll, not for each half term.

  • Visiting students are required to submit transient study forms (form may have an alternative name at home institution) to Undergraduate Admissions from their home institution if they are taking courses in the fall or spring semester.
  • If you are admitted as a visiting student for the summer, you will be allowed to enroll in open classes offered in all summer terms during that year. UNC Charlotte does not require visiting students to submit transient study forms for the summer. Please consult with your home institution for any required forms for the summer term.

Complete the online application and submit the application fee!

Note: The online application is the same application that ALL students interested in attending UNC Charlotte fill out. If you are a visiting student for the summer, please fill out the high school information to the best of your ability. High school transcripts are not required. Please see below for more important information about transcripts.

Eligibility & Requirements
  • Students currently enrolled in high school or under 18 years of age who want to take summer courses are not classified as “visiting students”, and should NOT complete the visitor’s application.
  • Visiting students can attempt to take up to 18 credit hours.
  • Students who already hold a first bachelor’s degree are not eligible to enroll as visiting students at the University. Your options for pursuing studies at UNC Charlotte include earning a second bachelor’s degree or taking courses as a post-baccalaureate student from the Graduate School.
  • Visiting students must be in good academic standing at their home institution.
  • Students are eligible to attend UNC Charlotte as a visiting student for the summer semester prior to attending their home school.
    • For example, a student who has been accepted for the Fall semester at their home school but has not yet attended that school may attend UNC Charlotte as a visiting student for the summer terms.
  • You are not required to submit transcripts unless you want to take a course that requires a prerequisite.
    • In that case, you will need to supply the academic department hosting the course with an official transcript proving that you have completed the prerequisite course.
    • For example, if you intend on taking PHYS 1102 at UNC Charlotte, you will be required to provide a transcript to the Physics department showing that you have met the prerequisite of PHYS 1101.

Registering for Classes

Important Financial Information

For questions regarding registering for classes, contact For all other inquiries, please contact Niner Central at


Do I need to submit immunization records?

How do I know what books I need?
  • You can view any books associated with your course via Student Self Service. Textbooks, lab manuals, access codes, and digital materials are included in the Niner Course Pack. Students are automatically enrolled in the Niner Course Pack during registration, and the cost is $20 per credit hour.
  • If you do not wish to receive the Niner Course Pack, you will need to opt out of the program before the deadline on the Niner Course Pack webpage. Barnes & Noble will send you an email prior to the start of classes asking if you would like to opt out of the program. You must take action in order to have the charges removed from your student account.
  • If you have questions about your textbooks or other required materials for the course, please contact the instructor.

Why did I not receive any financial aid?
  • Visiting students need to apply for financial aid at their home institution. This is because financial aid can only be awarded to degree-seeking students and a visitor student status is not degree-seeking. Visitors are degree-seeking at their home institutions.

How do I pay my bill?

You can make a payment online by following the steps below:

  • Log in to the MyCharlotte
  • Select View Account & Statements (Under Billing, Payments & Refunds)
  • Select Make a Payment
  • Enter amount and then select Continue
  • Select payment method and enter your information then select Continue
  • Review transaction details then Submit Payment
  • Print receipt for your records

Where do I find information about parking on campus?

What if I need academic assistance, such as tutoring?

What if I need to drop or withdraw from a course?
  • You can drop a course before the add/drop period is over. This is the sixth business day for fall/spring full terms, and second business day for summer full term. For half terms, it is the second business day.
  • If you wish to withdraw from the course, you may withdraw from the course via Banner Self-Service until the posted withdrawal deadline for the term.

Where can I find a list of course offerings?
  • You can start by looking at UNC Charlotte’s schedule of classes when it posts each semester. Visiting students take a wide range of courses; ranging from various course topics, including foreign language, political science, physical fitness, and many more.
  • If you have questions about course content or seeking permission to take a course, please contact the academic department of that course.

How do I give my family access to my academic records?
  • It is recommended that you enter any designated persons into UNC Charlotte’s Guest Access Portal if you wish to share your academic information. This will identify who has permission to discuss your academic records with UNC Charlotte personnel.

Once admitted, how do I register?
  • The registration process is done online using MyCharlotte. Select the “Need Help” link to activate your NinerNET account.
  • All prospective Summer School registrants receive a registration appointment date and time: this is the date and time after which you are free to register. Registration priorities are assigned to current students first, and then to visiting students.
    • Applicants will be notified regarding the success of their application and the time and date assigned for registration.

What courses will transfer back to my college or University?

When is the deadline to apply?

Working toward your first bachelor’s degree?
  • Summer visitors who do not already have a degree and are not enrolled in degree programs at UNC Charlotte MUST complete an online application.
  • The application fee is $75.00 and can be paid online in the form of a credit card or debit card.