Changing Your Major

Prior to graduation, an undergraduate student may change from one degree program or area of academic concentration to another. 

Prior to changing your major and/or minor

  • We encourage you to consider the implications on time-to-degree and cost.
  • View DegreeWorks to research majors and academic progression.

Current Students

To declare or change your major or minor

  • Be sure you meet the prerequisites for admission to the department.  You can view the academic department's requirements on their web page. 
  • Contact your academic department in person, by email, or by telephone to seek approval, as indicated on the department web page.
  • The academic department will review your request, which can take 5-10 business days, depending on volume of requests.  (More specific information may be available on the department web page or by contacting the department directly.)
  • If you are accepted into the new major, a change of major request form will be sent by the academic department to the Office of the Registrar.  Typical processing time, once received in the Office of the Registrar, is 3-5 business days.

To drop a major or minor

  • If you would like to drop your major or minor, using your uncc email address, send a request to identifying:
    • Your name
    • Your student ID number
    • Statement specifying “I want to drop my [insert major/minor name].”

New Students

Change of major on admissions application, before enrollment/registration

  • If you listed a major on your admission application, but you want to change that major, please send an email requesting the major change to Include your name and date of birth in the email.
  • The admissions office will review your major change request and notify you of their decision.