Repeat Course Overrides

Overrides are necessary if you want to take a course that you have previously taken.

If you are a faculty member or advisor looking for resources regarding the registration process and course overrides, please visit the Registrar's website

What courses may be repeated

  • You may only register for a course if credit has already been earned for that course, if the course description in the University catalog indicates it "may be repeated for credit".  
  • This applies to credit earned at UNC Charlotte or transferred from other Institutions.
  • The registration error message, “Repeated Course”, prevents students from registering for that specific course without a “REPEAT” override.
  • This override will ONLY handle the “Repeated Course” registration error message, however; additional overrides may be needed if other error messages are received.

Requesting a repeat override

  1. Contact the person listed below based on your major's college to request a repeat override.
  2. Register for your class ONLY IF the repeat override is approved.
  3. Approved overrides requested for classes that are currently in progress will be issued beginning three weeks after the first day of registration.
  4. After registering for the course, if you are doing a Grade Replacement Request, be sure to submit your request through by the deadline published in the Academic Calendar.
  5. At the end of the term, if credit is earned for the class, students are subject to the Repeating Courses policy in the University Catalog. The “REPEAT” override does not impact this policy.
  • Architecture, Art, and Art History: Please see your advisor.
  • Dance, Music, and Theatre: Please see your department office.
Contact the Belk College of Business Advising Center.
Contact your assigned academic advisor.
  • Pre-majors (prior to admission to a teacher education program):  Contact the Office of Teacher Education Advising, Licensure, and Recruitment (TEALR).
  • Majors (post admission to a teacher education program): Contact the advisor or Undergraduate Program Coordinator in your major.
  • Freshmen: Contact the Office of Student Development and Success.
  • All Others: Contact the Undergraduate Coordinator or Academic Advisor in your major.
  • For CHHS Pre-Majors: Contact the CHHS Advising Center
  • For CHHS Majors: Contact their Program Coordinator
  • For Nursing majors: Contact the Associate Director of the Undergraduate Division.
Contact the Main Department Office of your major/minor.
Contact the University Advising Center.
Contact the Honors College.
Contact your Graduate Department for assistance.