Disbursement is the process of putting your financial aid money into your student account. Funds are applied to your account 7-10 days before the first day of class.
How you will receive your aid funds?
Awarded financial aid reduces the amount due on your bill and is applied as listed below for each aid type.
Grants and Scholarships appear as a credit on your bill.
Merit Scholarships appear as a credit on your registration bill until we receive actual funds from the Levine Scholarship Office at the beginning of the semester.
Federal Direct Subsidized or Unsubsidized Loans require a Master Promissory Note, and the Direct Loans also require that the student accept the loan offer in Banner Self-Service. By law these loans cannot disburse to the student's account until 10 days prior to the start of classes each semester
A temporary credit (memoed aid) is included on the bill for Direct loans if the loan has been accepted.
Parent PLUS Loan and Grad Plus Loan require completion of a FAFSA, a Master Promissory Note and UNC Charlotte PLUS Loan Application Form, and a credit approval. If these requirements are met, a temporary credit (memoed aid) will appear on the billing statement and actual funds will disburse 10 days before the start of classes.
Alternative loans are applied as memoed aid if the loan has been approved. Funds are released 10 days prior to the start of classes.
Federal Work Study does NOT appear on the bill and does not reduce the amount owed. Students are responsible for finding their own jobs and using their salary earned for school-related expenses.
If you have been awarded an NCSEAA Scholarship, please be aware that the funds for these scholarships will disburse to your student account 10 days prior to the start of classes.
Exception: If you were not eligible for direct loans prior to census and registered after census for at least a total of 5 hours (GRAD) or 6 hours (UNDERGRAD), you may now be eligible for direct loans. Please contact Niner Central at 704-687-8622 or firstname.lastname@example.org to determine your eligibility.
Refunds of excess financial aid
- When your disbursed financial aid and other payments (not including temporary aid) exceed your UNC Charlotte charges, you will receive a refund of the excess amount.
- If you are eligible for summer financial aid, please be aware that ALL financial aid disbursements for both the Summer First Half Term and Summer Second Half Term will be combined and paid prior to the Summer First Half Term.
- This means that if you reduce your summer course hours after you receive your disbursement, you may be required to pay back funds for the classes you dropped.
- Students enrolled in Summer Second Half term ONLY will not receive their disbursement(s) until June 19 or later.
- Plan carefully to register for the courses that you need and take steps to finish the courses successfully.
- Review the billing due dates for summer here.