Third Party Billing

The Third Party Billing unit of the Office of the Bursar assists students whose attendance at the University is sponsored by a third party.

Third Parties agree to pay all or some portion of a student’s bill, and may include:

  • state and federal agencies
  • international embassies
  • military agencies
  • employers or other organizations

The Office of the Bursar prepares and sends invoices for tuition and other costs as specified by the third party.

Students sponsored by a third-party have certain responsibilities to fulfill in order to have the third-party sponsorship applied to their student account. The student:

  • must provide a valid authorization from their sponsor prior to the payment due date
  • is responsible for paying any balance not covered by the third-party agency
  • is responsible for renewing their authorization when needed

The authorization is a document in which the third-party agency commits to pay designated education expenses for the student. 

The authorization must include:

  • the student’s name and UNC Charlotte ID number
  • the semester or dates being covered – if the authorization is to cover more than one semester, the effective date and expiration date should be included on the authorization; otherwise a new authorization must be submitted each semester
  • specific charges covered, i.e., tuition, fees, housing, meal plan, parking permit, books, etc.
  • any minimum/maximum amount the sponsor will pay
  • the name of the sponsor, contact information and complete mailing address
  • a signature and date from an authorized official
  • how and where invoices should be submitted, i.e., postal mail, email, fax

NOTE: If for any reason the sponsor does not pay the invoice, the student will be liable for full payment of all charges incurred.

  • The authorization for tuition, fees, housing, meal plan, parking permit should be submitted to:

UNC Charlotte
Attn: Student Accounts/Third Party Billing
Reese Bldg 2nd Floor
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte, North Carolina 28223

  • A Separate authorization for books and supplies should be submitted to:

Barnes & Noble Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte, North Carolina 28223
Phone: 704-687-7077
Fax: 704-687-7070

    • Upon receipt of a valid authorization, a “defer to third-party payment” flag will be placed on the student’s account to prevent cancellation of the student’s registration in anticipation of the pending third party payment.
    • Any charges that the third party sponsor has not agreed to pay, i.e., parking fines, health center charges, etc., must be paid by the student before a “defer to third-party payment” flag can be placed on the student’s account to prevent cancellation of the student’s registration.
    • We begin invoicing third party sponsors after the add/drop date has passed. 
    • Due to the number of third party sponsors that are invoiced, please allow up to three weeks after the drop/add date each semester for invoices to be submitted to the third party sponsor.
    • Students eligible for Military Tuition Assistance must provide a Tuition Assistance (TA) form. The TA form must include a specific description of charges that will be paid by the military.  It must also include:

      • Your name and UNC Charlotte identification number
      • The semester(s) covered by the document
      • The billing address
      • The signature and telephone number of the authorizing official
    • Your tuition assistance payment will be applied after it is received by Third Party Billing staff.